Someone with a “pear shape” carries extra weight around the hips. A study at the Children’s Hospital in Boston found that pear-shaped individuals have lower levels of insulin than individuals who carry extra weight around their abdomens (“apple shape”). What this means is good news for the pear-shaped: they can lose weight both through restricted fats and restricted carbohydrates. However, while losing weight around the hips is easier, making a plan and sticking to it is key.
- Eat fewer fats and simple carbohydrates. Instead, eat lean foods, including chicken, turkey and fish, as well as slow-burning carbohydrates like black beans and kidney beans. Include vegetables at every meal and eat only fresh fruit (no juice or dried fruit). Banish foods that serve no healthy purpose, such as chips, candy, soda, white bread and fast-food meals.
- Set a calorie goal. Use a weight calculator to determine your calorie needs and to calculate the calories you’re consuming. Make it a daily goal to meet but not exceed your daily calories.
- Exercise frequently: aim for five or more exercise sessions per week. Your exercise should be at least 30 minutes with little or no weight and high intensity. If you aren’t used to exercise, start with a half-hour of walking, then work up to intervals of walking and jogging. If you have difficulty motivating yourself, sign up for an aerobics class or other guided fitness program. If you enjoy sports like tennis, basketball or soccer, they are all excellent for burning fat.
- Perform resistance training to tone your upper body and even out the appearance of your pear shape. Toned shoulders and a V-shaped torso will make your hips look smaller. Add resistance training to your workout two or three times per week. Some fitness classes include a resistance training component.
Tips & Warnings
Planning ahead makes healthy eating easier. Determine which combination of foods best meets your caloric needs and schedule your meals. Make a shopping list with healthy foods and stick to it. Don’t be afraid to eat the same thing every day, if you enjoy it and it’s healthy, until you reach your goal. Find a friend to exercise and compare meal ideas with. You’ll keep each other honest and motivated.
A partner with a healthy sensuality makes for a man with a happy male organ. But there may be extended periods of time when a woman’s drive may be in a lower gear than a man desires. Jumpstarting that drive is important for a couple’s emotional and intimate lives, and since good male organ health includes a proper amount of sensual activity, it’s also important for a guy’s overall health status.
What accounts for her decreased interest in intimacy?
There can be many reasons why a woman might not be “in the mood,” either short term or long term. For example:
- Timing. Nature created woman to be more inclined toward sensual activity around the time that she is ovulating.
- Estrogen levels. In addition to monthly fluctuations in hormones, sometimes general estrogen levels are too low. Not only does this affect desire, it can also affect the body’s ability to prepare itself for sensual activity; female tissue may become dryer with subnormal amounts of estrogen, making intimacy painful.
- Medical reasons. Lack of iron or a poorly functioning thyroid can also have a major effect on a woman’s desire.
- Emotions. Many believe that this is the biggest reason for a decrease of interest in sensuality for women, especially pre-menopausal women. Depression, stress, sorrow, grief, low self-esteem and a host of other emotions are not conducive to a positive sensuality.
What a guy can do
There are several things a man can do to help a woman recover her interest in intimacy:
- Talk about it. A man should gently raise the subject, perhaps by saying that he has noticed that she doesn’t seem as interested in intimacy lately as he does. Find out if she feels the same way and why she thinks this might be. If there might be a medical component, encourage her to consult with a doctor. If she feels there is a problem in the relationship, let her talk about it. Suggest couples therapy if that seems to be appropriate. If there are emotional issues, discuss ways to handle these emotions; this not only will help to restore her interest in intimacy but will make her a happier and emotionally healthier person all around.
- Assess himself. After this conversation, a man should take a good long look at himself to see how he might be impacting his partner. Is he neglecting to pay proper attention to her feelings? Does he only show increased interest in her when he wants some action? Is he “selfish” in bed, skipping appropriate foreplay or only reluctantly bringing her to pleasure if he finishes early?
- Take action. Guys need to act on the information they get from their partners. Depending on what he has been told, he might surprise her with a special romantic dinner; read that novel that she’s been reading so they can discuss it together; praise her for some of the everyday tasks that she thinks he doesn’t notice; do the grocery shopping or go with her to the store when she goes; send flowers; call her at work just to chat; take a shower with her before intimacy; extend the amount of time he spends kissing and cuddling before embarking on relations; tell her (and not just during intimacy) how attractive she is; talk dirty to her (but in terms that she finds appealing); or just hold hands when out together.
Each woman has different needs and desires, but the key to reigniting the fire is to pay attention to and appreciate her, and to let her know in a real and sincere way, through both words and actions, that she is desired, special and loved.
Increasing a mate’s sensuality can make for a happy male organ, but it can also lead to a sore one. Regular use of a first class male organ vitamin cream (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil) can take care of that problem. The best creams contain an ingredient like shea butter, a spectacular emollient that when combined with the hydrating power of vitamin E can provide tremendous soothing relief. Look for a cream that also contains vitamin C, which is valuable for its role in collagen production and male tissue firmness. A healthy, well-hydrated male organ that looks and feels appealing can also help to boost her interest in some bedroom playtime.